Written by Beth Kavy, Safeguard Security & Surveillance, Inc.
If you still have any doubts about whether or not your home or family could benefit from a home alarm system take a look at some of the following facts:
- Approximately every twenty seconds a home fire is reported.
- House fires are the third leading cause of fatal home injury in the nation.
- Each year fires kill more people in the United States than all natural disasters combined.
- 39% of residential fires and 52% of residential fatalities from fires occur in homes with no smoke alarms.
- 70% of all burglaries occur in residential properties.
- Every 14.5 seconds a robbery is reported.
- Most burglaries take place between 10am and 3pm when the majority of homeowners are at work.
- 8% of robberies are committed with a gun according to the FBI’s crime statistics.
- The majority of burglars gain entry to the home via the front door, back door and first floor windows.
- FBI crime statistics state that during 60% of reported burglaries, someone was at home.
- Only 13% of reported burglaries are solved by the police.
- Only 15% of property that is stolen in burglaries is ever recovered by the police.
- Approximately two-thirds of home fire deaths between 2005 and 2009 were the result of fires in homes without smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.